If you suffer injury as the result of a criminal act you may be able to claim compensation.
The CICA is a Government body set up to compensate victims of violent crime. It can make awards for injuries and other losses up to a maximum of £500,000 for the most severe cases.
You can make a claim provided that:
- you were injured in England and Wales after 1st April 1964; and
- you make a claim within two years of the incident (this can be waived in exceptional circumstances).
However, the CICA can reduce or withhold an award if you:
- contributed to your injury as a result of your conduct or behaviour;
- failed to co-operate with the police in the prosecution of the offender (although a prosecution is not always necessary);
- have a significant criminal record.
Even if an offender is not identified, caught or convicted, a CICA claim may still succeed so before you make assumptions about the likely success or failure of your case, speak to us first.
If during the course of our investigations we find that you have grounds for other legal action such as a civil claim against your attacker or an application to the Motor Insurers' Bureau we will advise you as to the likelihood of pursuing a successful claim against such other parties.
For an initial chat, to obtain further details, or to arrange your (FREE) first appointment phone us on 0800 214 072 or 01603 620508, or e-mail us.
Fosters Solicitors team of Personal Injury lawyers have a wealth of experience and knowledge to assist you in relation to any legal query or matter you may have. Call us on 01603 620508 or complete our online enquiry form and a member of the department will be in touch very soon.
- Injured By A Cyclist?
- A Call Too Far.....
- Chance To Prevent Cold Calling Lost
- Brain Injury In New Borns
- Road Traffic Accidents - Not The Whole Picture
- Limits On The Duty Of Care
- Fosters Solicitors Announce Merger With Personal Injury Firm
- Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones But Names Are Worth Su
- Clinical Negligence Fixed Fees Cap
- Car Insurance Premiums Set To Fall... ?