Occupiers' Liability

Anyone who owns, or occupies, land or property has a responsibility to lawful visitors (and sometimes even to "trespassers") to ensure their safety. It is this duty that encourages property owners to insure against Public Liability claims.

If you have been injured on land or property due to a poorly maintained surface or poor lighting you may have a claim.

Types Of Claim

Typical (real life) examples where we have successfully pursued a claim for clients include:

  • a supermarket staff member dropped yoghurt on the floor of the store and failed to clean it up causing our client to slip and injure their back;
  • a company covered a hole in a car park with plywood and then tarmaced over it. It gave way and a car fell into the hole causing injury to its occupants;
  • a firm left an iron bar across an access way which a visitor fell over leading to a hand injury.

Making A Claim

As soon as possible after the accident write down, in your own words, exactly what happened. If you think something or somebody was at fault then say so. If there were any witnesses try and obtain their names, addresses and phone numbers and, if you know them, ask them whether they would give a statement to support your claim.

Ensure that the accident including how it happened, the date, and your injuries are put into the accident book which Employers are duty bound to hold. Try and obtain a copy of the page about your accident.

If you did not go to hospital or to your GP at the time of the accident because you did not think your injury was that serious but it has since become worse or hasn't improved, see your GP as soon as your symptoms worsen and explain precisely what happened and the problems that you are now having.

For an initial chat, to obtain further details, or to arrange your (FREE) first appointment phone us on 0800 214 072 or 01603 620508, or e-mail us.

Contacting Us

Fosters Solicitors Team of Personal Injury Lawyers have a wealth of experience and knowledge to assist you in relation to any legal query or matter you may have. Call us on 01603 620508 or complete our and a member of the department will be in touch very soon.