A deputy looks after the welfare and/or the day to day finances of someone who does not have the mental capacity to deal with their own affairs. A deputy can be a family member, a friend or a professional. Several of Fosters' partners act as professional deputies.
All deputyships are controlled and monitored by the Court of Protection which is an independent body and part of the main court system.
What does a deputy do?
A deputy has many duties including:
- Looking after the person's property
- Opening a deputyship bank account
- Claiming all relevant benefits
- Paying bills
- Buying clothes
- Preparing accounts each year/whenever the court request them
- Keeping important documents and valuable items safe
- Dealing with the person's tax affairs
- Making sure the person's money is being used to give him or her a good quality of life
How We Can Help You
Fosters can prepare the application and submit it to the Court of Protection. The application must include the deputy's declaration, a medical certificate regarding the capacity of the vulnerable person and a statement of their assets and income. An application fee is payable but this can be waived if it can be shown that payment would cause financial hardship. Our lawyers have extensive experience in applying for deputyships, understanding the impact these documents can have on your future. Our team will be there to support and advise you every step of the way.
Fosters Solicitors Team of Wills & Probate Lawyers have a wealth of experience and knowledge to assist you in relation to any legal query or matter you may have. Call us on 01603 620508 or complete our online enquiry form and a member of the department will be in touch very soon.
- 20% off Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Proposed increase to Probate fees dropped
- Lasting Powers of Attorney: The 'Cost' of Registration
- Lasting Powers of Attorney: The "Cost" of Registra
- Legal Guide: The Court Of Protection
- Update: Proposed Increase To Probate Fees
- DIY Wills - Don't Do This At Home
- Who's Writing Your Will?
- Special Offer On Lasting Powers Of Attorney
- Over £970,000 Raised - Fosters Receives Silver Award F