Lasting Power Of Attorney ‐ FAQ

Does An LPA Have To Be Registered?

No. It can simply be prepared and signed by all parties. However we strongly advise that you arrange to prepare and register at the same time as the LPA is not valid until it has been registered.

If you decide to register the LPA later on, or leave it to your Attorneys to register if you loose mental capacity, there will be a 6-10 week delay before the LPA can be used. In that time, important decisions may need to be made and anyone trying to assist you will be doing so without the appropriate authority.

How Long Does It Take To Prepare And Register An LPA?

It is difficult to predict how long it will take for all parties to sign the LPA, as it depends on their availability. However, once it has been sent to the Office of the Public Guardian it can take between 6-10 weeks for the LPA to be registered.

How Much Does An LPA Cost?

We charge a standard fee for the preparation of LPAs and would be happy to discuss these with you. There are additional costs if you require your LPA to be registered or for Fosters to act as your Certificate Provider.

How Much Does It Cost To Apply For A Deputyship Order?

The cost of instructing us to assist you in applying for a straightforward Deputyship Order is set by the Court of Protection and is currently £950 plus VAT. If the application becomes more complex, the costs will rise.

What Happens If Somebody I Know Cannot Manage Their Affairs And Does Not Have An LPA?

If somebody you know does not have an LPA and is unable to manage their own affairs, anybody can apply to become their Deputy by making an application to the Court of Protection for a Deputyship Order. We can assist you in making this application.

When Can I Make A Lasting Power Of Attorney?

You can prepare an LPA at any time, provided you have the capacity to do so. Your Attorneys cannot act on your behalf unless your LPA has been registered at the Office of the Public Guardian. In some cases it is appropriate to apply to register your LPA straight away. We can advise you regarding this.